Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Studio Talk: Polymer Clay Journey Little Tweeties


A video is in the works but for now I wanted to share some pictures of some polymer clay projects that I have been working on. Got a little hooked on leaf and birdie or Tweetie making, enhanced with glass crystals that are called hot fix and are suppose to adhere to the surface when baked in the oven.  (Bought on Ebay for a low cost. A big lesson was learned that I will share in a future post.)
Tweeties
These little Tweeties are about 7-12mm long, They are all handmade with no holds or anything. That means they vary in not just sizes but the shape as well. Of course I try to make them all the same inform but so far it doesn't work out that way. These little guys are accented with teeny faceted glass eyes. They can be used for bracelets, earrings, necklaces or anywhere you want cute little birdie dangles. Some were created using a scrap clay base and covered with a polymer clay cane design. The others were created using marbled clay. It looks really interesting when you use translucent clay mixed with coloured clay and portions of clay with less translucent.
A sampling of my new wee Tweets 


Here are the leaf dangles that are sharped by hand as well. The sizes range from 12mm-about 20mm. Be sure to add bake and bond to insure the faceted glass stones adhere, even if you bought the ones called Hot Fix from Ebay. It was my first time using these. They are AB finished  and beautiful. But, I did find out the hard way that they didn't stick during baking. I   have watched a lot
of tutorials that say if you use the Swarovski brand with adhesive - you don't need to use any adhesive because the glue melds with the polymer while baking. All I can say is, test out the crystals after cooled to make sure. See , a bunch popped off after :o( However, they were not any brand name. You can embed them a little, so the clay wraps around enough to create a bezel like hold. Now I am trying bake and bond.
Below is a picture of how the glass crystals came off like nothing! 
The bling could be picked off easily!
Hope you are inspired to experiment and create in whatever medium you choose.

As I write this, I decided I will make a video to share how beautiful my new Blinged out pieces are turning out! They are intended to be for brides and such! So stay tuned :o) 

Thanks for stopping by!
HeArtfully Creating
Anita

Be sure to share your creations with us at our Heartfully Creating's Facebook Group


No comments: