Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Polymer Clay Journey: It's Cane Season- Learn About Polymer Clay Caning

Most recent Complex cane, Abstract style- Anita Berglund
Yes it is Cane season! Okay, I am trying to be funny trying to come up with a word that works with the subject of this tutorial. Meaning, today I wanted talk about making canes with polymer clay. And yet I know Candy canes can be seen everywhere in December.  When I was a kid, it seems that everywhere you went someone was giving away candy cane.
With all this talk about Candy canes, you'd think that I love them. Nope, I don't. But it's just the best way to help explain cane making, be it with sugar or clay, and even in glass making.

For starters, here's my new video that shows examples of the various types of polymer Clay cane techniques that I've done so far. As well as, a wee bit of a tutorial- hoping that you will be inspired to try Caning if you haven't already.

Cane making, be it with sugar, glass or clay, is that you can create multiple images of the same design. It is a two dimensional design in a three dimensional form. As well, you can make that same image in various sizes. They're called canes, because once they're all made up, they look like a staff or a cane used for walking.

Which reminds me, our dear brother-in-law, Curly, passed away last month and he used to make handmade walking sticks for people he cared about, out of diamond willow (a type of tree), and they arm pretty much long and straight, hence the name cane....
Watch here "Polymer Clay Journey: 
It's Cane Season "

I found videos like the one below, about traditional candy making, very beneficial and useful, to help understand how caning comes together.
About the Candy making video below
Lofty Pursuits, is an interesting YouTube channel that features a candy making shop. The candy maker creates candies using the cane method. I enjoy listening to his commentary as he creates traditional beautiful candy. You can skip closer to the end to see the actual can come together. But I strongly suggest enjoying the entire video, if you have the time.

Now how do I make a Cane?
Well as you may have guessed already, there are many types of canes and therefore, a plethora of Cain making tutorials from trusted artists and companies in existence already. which means it is kind of redundant for me to redo something that has already been done so well in so many ways.
That is why, I decided to share a list of names and companies that you can click on, to go directly to polymer clay cane related tutorials- all in video format on YouTube. That's just the way I like them.

Learning from as many Polymer Clay artist as you can find on YouTube and elsewhere, it Is highly beneficial. Learning the basic skills like a bull's-eye, jelly roll, checkerboard and striped cane, along with learning the Skinner blend technique (for creating a gradation of two or more colours of polymer clay) make a great foundation for cane making, with polymer clay not sugar of course.

Click on the name, to see a mere sampling of the many tutorials on canes.
Christie Friesen- Just one of my most favourite clay artists ever!
Amy  Koranek of Polyform Products: Jelly Roll Cane
-checker board cane
-complex cane making
Kater Acres- Katie Askin makes the  pretty petal cane I mention in my video above
Val at Unruly Housewife-Leaf cane
Complex Caning: Teresa Salgado
Skinner Blend: Polymer Clay Tutor
Cernit in BELGIUM : Basic cane techniques
Jessama Tutorials: A Jellyroll cane

HeArtfully Creating,
Anita

Subscribe! Like and Share!! (if you want of course :o)

Come and join my HeArtfully Creating Group on Facebook.
Here is where you can show us your original artwork, questions and thoughts here. There is a guideline page.

"LIKE" HeArtfully Creating Here on FACEBOOK

Bergie Creation Shop Blog

A BERGIE CREATION - at Etsy, my handmade jewelry shop

 LIKE ABC On Facebook

ABC On Twitter

YOU Tube Channel

Pinterest


No comments: