Friday, June 2, 2017

HeArtfully Creating: Polymer Clay Journey- ATLAS, A New Pasta/Clay Machine & First Lesson Learned! Watch the Video!

Used My New Atlas 150 Pasta machine to roll 
out clay at setting 3 or 4! It kept rippling :o(
Watch the video or keep
reading to find out what I discovered.
This article is about I'm boxing and setting up of my new Alice pasta machine, As well as a bit of a review about my Amoco machine. There's a bit more you may be interested in. It is about my first panic attack regarding The Atlas 150 machine. Take a look at this picture and I will tell you more Once we get through the unboxing/review part.

As I mentioned in the previous Post about my Amaco machine that lost It's clamp knob, most polymer clay artists used a conditioning machine Which is essentially a pasta machine, Or as I started out - Using a Amaco clay conditioning machine. Now it is not an essential piece of equipment but it is extremely helpful if you do not have strong hands or you produce a lot of clay sheets. Definitely Worth,  investing in an inexpensive clay or pasta machine.

As I mentioned in the video and article Prior to this one,  The Amaco Clay conditioning machine works perfectly for me for over two years. Aside from the knob falling off, Which my has been rectified by Using a part of his C clamp, It worked great. Now I do not know what normal life expectancy is for a clay conditioning machine, So maybe over two years is too short, I don't I don't know. What I do know is for someone who started out not knowing for sure if polymer clay addiction would Be something I was able to use,  starting out on a half-price Amaco Clay conditioning machine, that never gave any hassles, was a great idea. Half price because my husband used the Michael's craft store coupon.

Last week I decided I better get a replacement machine because the Amaco clay Conditioning machine finally started to wear out. For the first timeIt history, In My studio that is, It started to jam the gears and then began clicking and seizing up almost. Noticing that most clay artists use the atlas Bar Marcato pasta machine for their clay, I asked the question on a polymer clay, Facebook page AndDid some research- Concluding that the absolute best Clay conditioning machine is made by Lucy Clay in Europe. It is not something I would be able to use or could afford, So it appears that the good old standby brand Is the Atlas Pasta machine. Thanks again to those who recommended it.

Hello is the video that I made of my husband on boxing the atlas clay machine. Of course there is great excitement And hoopla. So you have to check it out by Keep watching because I also talk about the Amaco machine In case you're interested.
Take a Watch Here:


First Impressions And a Lesson Learned
Now for a bit more detail on what happened when I first started trying my new atlas 150. Initially On setting Zero and nine, which are the thickest settings- all was wonderful. The Handle Sits inside the machine very well, Not dropping out like in the Amaco. It also cranks Smoothly and beautifully,  you really can feel the quality in the machine. Assuming all was working fine, I continued on with my day And didn't try any other settings on the machine.

Day Two: Wanting to play with it,  I took a different  piece of clay than the one we used on day one and started reducing it, as soon as I went to a thinner setting, about three and even four, the clay looked like this! Needless to say, I was mortified! I had heard talk on another tutorial about how the cheaper Sculpey brand machine does stuff like this, but Never the great Atlas machine! Ready to Write a letter to the company and return it from where I purchased it from. As well as, let those who recommended this machine know what it happened and ask if I am doing something wrong, I suddenly got the idea to try a clay that was not as soft or sticky.

Keep in mind the Amaco clay could handle this piece of clay no problem.

We began rolling out a stiffer piece of clay I'm thankful  we discovered that the rippling effect did not happen On all clay. That was when I realized duh, oh yes it
is a pasta machine after all, Not meant for Clay. It would make sense that you would need to add flour if it was a pasta dough that was too sticky. But then if this is the case, then why are people using this machine instead of the made for clay machines? Like I said with the Amaco machine, I did not have any problems like this.

I must say that after we testedIt, I and my husband were amazed at how send the clay can get. There is no way I will ever use the mega thin settings on this machine, But I can see why  those who can handle their clay well, Would want a machine like this. Just curious about the whole Ripple thing.
Conclusions:
Be careful not to use using very soft or sticky clay. This particular batch had FIMO mixed into it With Premo, Fimo gets very soft And even sticky,  not to mention it was a very warm day inside. I am assuming the Atlas has this restriction for clay.

What is your Experience?
Because I know so many people use the atlas machine for conditioning or clay. And because I've never heard anyone complain about rippling playOr having to use a certain Condition of clay, Meaning do not use sticky clay. I really want to know if this is just me, is there something wrong with my machine or is this normal?

Thanks for stopping by!
HeArtfully Creating,
Anita

No comments: