Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Needle Felting Adventure: Creating That Is Easier On The Hands (Sort Of)

Needle felted hearts by me, Anita of HeArtfully Creating/A Bergie Creation 2017
Never heard of Needle Felting? Neither had I until recently. Thanks to You Tube's great tutorials and endless information, I decided I would try it. Wet felting is the other method of felting but for me, it looks pretty physical so I wanted to try using the needle way. It is such a relaxing way to create. Yes, it involves a barbed needle that hurts a lot when poked into your fingers! BUT, if you actually use the little finger protectors that come with a needle felting kit, you can avoid pain. 
What Does It Mean To Felt?
Here is what I have concluded based on what I know so far. Felting in my words, involves connecting fibres like wool (not spun yarn) into each other until they connect or meld into each other creating a sheet of fabric or some three dimensional forms such as my hearts below, animals (remember my first kitty attempt?) or garments like hats, slippers, scarves and such. Needle felting involved poking a special barbed or teeny jaggged edged needle through the fibres joining them together. The more you poke through, the firmer the finished product gets.
Wet felting, involves soap and water and quite a process, look below to see a video about it.
Easier On The Hands
Yes, Polymer clay is wonderful but I have been struggling with the strength needed to condition and work it, especially when it is cold. Because I have a muscle weakening disorder, having ways to create on those challenging, other than drawing, something like felting on weaker days is great. So if you have arthritis or a neuromuscular disease like I do, and you love three dimensional art making but struggle with polymer clay, try needle felting.
Needle felted hearts by me, Anita of HeArtfully Creating/A Bergie Creation 2017

Needle felted hearts by me, Anita of HeArtfully Creating/A Bergie Creation 2017

Needle felted hearts by me, Anita of HeArtfully Creating/A Bergie Creation 2017

Learn About Needle Felting
Watch





Learn About WET Felting





No comments: