Tuesday, June 21, 2016

POLYMER CLAY ADVENTURE: Works In Progress- Howard The Turtle

Sea Turtles are so beautiful as with all of God's incredible creations! It is a special friend's grade eight graduation soon so I was hoping to make something I knew he might like, a turtle figurine. New to sculpting critters, I wanted to share what I have done so far for fun. As of today, I decided, it wasn't perfect enough so I am making a brand new one.
Now my husband is calling this one Howard the Turtle and he really likes it. So, I will be doing all the finishing touches and giving it to him! So here is where it is at right now.
The eyes are polished black onyx stone. Inside, I made a support using wire and tin foil as well as some inexpensive sculpey clay in the large box. It comes in white and terracotta. I do mix the weaker clay with Premo clay to lay down the foundation.
Pre- Bakes:
It really helps to bake each stage of your sculptures to avoid accidentally smooshing your completed areas. If your oven is the correct temperature, you can never over bake your pieces. When all is said and done, you still need to bake the clay for the entire amount of required time, as if you never baked it at all.
Here is Howard, so far.... Oh ya, I turned him into a doodad box. His shell is the lid!
Always good to draw out an idea to have a plan before working. Not something I normally do!

My First attempt at a polymer clay Sea Turtle named
Howard...This is for my husband, he named it.

Work In Progress. My First attempt at a polymer clay Sea Turtle named
Howard...This is for my husband, he named it.

Work In Progress. My First attempt at a polymer clay Sea Turtle named
Howard...This is for my husband, he named it. 
Work In Progress. My First attempt at a polymer clay Sea Turtle named Howard...This is for my husband, he named it.
Work In Progress: The eyes are 8mm black onyx stone beads. The need to be held in with clay eye lids.

Work In Progress. Tin foil and wire help bulk it up and make the foundation. Solid clay is too much, too thick.

Work In Progress. After a prebake, then I add more layers and more short bakes to protect work that you don't want to change.


Work In Progress.
Work In Progress. My First attempt at a polymer clay Sea Turtle named
Howard...This is for my husband, he named it. 
Work In Progress. 
Work In Progress. My First attempt at a polymer clay Sea Turtle named  Howard...This is for my husband, he named it.
Toilet paper makes a great support underneath. As well, I coated the raw clay bottom with shaved chalk pastels and glitter.

In the oven for one of Howard's pre-bakes.

The shell... 

Glitter and Pastel....




Work In Progress.  
Work In Progress
Subscribe! Like and Share!! (if you want of course :o)

LIKE HeArtfully Creating Here on FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/HeArtfullyCreating/

HeArtfully Creating Blog: 

A Bergie Creation Shop Blog: http://abergiecreation.blogspot.ca

A BERGIE CREATION - my handmade jewelry shop

Facebook:

Twitter:

YOU Tube Channel

Pinterest:

HeArtfully Creating: 


No comments: