Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Needle-less Knitting - Using A Spool!

http://www.buildingblockstoys.com/buy/0139769/cool-spool-knitting/
Do you know how to knit? Even if you don't, most of us know that in order to knit, we need knitting needles. My Mom taught me how to knit when I was about seven years old, along with my favourite thing at the time, crocheting.

A really cool thing happened around that age, when my Dad told me about how he knitted as a kid using a wooden thread spool and some nails. It was called "Spool Knitting." Better still, he made me a spool just like he use to use and taught me how to spool knit! It was so easy, I did it a lot and was able to make pot holders and mini spiral rugs.I thought I would share some easy ways anyone can knit without knitting needles, Spool Knitting being one of those ways. Because I just got the idea today, I haven't had a chance to work on some illustrations to show what I am talking about, but I will try to get some done. Until then, I did some research and posted some pictures and videos with their links so you can hopefully be inspired to try out some of these ideas.

In fact I was excited to see so many ideas and how to lessons on making much larger, easier to use spools out of things like toilet paper tubes and ice cream containers!
Enjoy...
Spool Ideas
You can purchase spool knitting spools or you can make your own like my dad did for me. Here are a few ideas from others on how to make spools, using different materials. Check out the links to their websites written in the photo caption.
I borrowed this picture off of the internet to show you what the old fashioned spool looked like to give you some idea.
http://www.craftypod.com/2007/02/28/spool-knitting-why-do-i-love-it-so/

Since modern day sewing thread spools are made of plastic, it can't be the kind we used with nails. But I found something better, you can make larger spools using toilet paper rolls and popsicle sicks or skewers. So cool!
Make Your Own Spool

From Craftsanity

A Plastic Container Spool "How To" from "Etcetorize"
http://etcetorize.blogspot.ca/2010/11/spool-knitting.html
This Spool is from Craftypod 
http://www.craftypod.com/2007/05/14/from-spool-knitting-to-loom-knitting/
Watch these great videos to show you how you can easily get started today! 
A Video From Craft Sanity on Spool Knitting

Watch this Video From the Frugal Crafter
Someone made a cool bracelet from a larger spool knitting project
Anyone knitting with their feet? Nothing surprises me anymore! I would love to hear from you if you have tried any of these yarn projects. Feel free to ask any questions or comments or if there is something you would like to see on HeArtfully Creating, let me know!
http://theyarnstore.blogspot.ca/2013/09/spool-knitting.html

Next time…more knitting without needles, 
Knitting with Your Arms!

No comments: